Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

My ex-husband has custoday of our son and lives in Kentucky. I live in Texas. For the past year, I have been flying my son to visit me using my friend's airline family benefits. It is a space available flight. My ex is now angry about an entirely different issue and is demanding that I buy full price round trip tickets this summer or he will not put my son on the plane. Can he demand this when he has shown a willingness to cooperate in the past?

Asked on 5/09/13, 8:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Perez Perez Law Office, PLLC

Unless your divorce decree specifically requires you to purchase full-fare tickets, he cannot require you to do so. If he refuses to comply with the specific terms of your possession order, then he would be in contempt of court. (As an airline pilot myself, I usually include custom language in the divorce decrees I prepare for my airline employee clients to address long-distance travel arrangements.) Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 5/09/13, 10:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas