Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I filed an agreed, simple and uncontested divorce in Texas. We are required to wait 60 days until the judge can officially sign it. Is there anything I can do make sure it doesn't take longer than that? What do I need to do to have the court waive the 30 day waiting period to remarry?

Asked on 6/04/13, 11:35 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. Michael Ireland Ireland & Shum, PLLC

You'll need to set the divorce for a hearing in front of the judge. Call the court coordinator for the court where your divorce is assigned and ask what you need to do to get an uncontested divorce on the docket and then try to get it scheduled as close to the 60 day period as possible. Inform the Coordinator that you are Pro Se and they should be helpful. To have the 30-day waiting period waived, you need to request it from the Court in your Petition (you can file an amended petition for free typically and does not affect the time requirements). And then again in your decree. Since you didn't mention it in your post, make sure your spouse signed the waiver of service and it is also filed with the Court.

Read more
Answered on 6/04/13, 1:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas