Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Final decree requires my son attend an exemplarary elem sch. The wording used is if there is not an exemplarary elem in my "area" and there's one in his mother's area then he can attend that one. Is "area" same or different from being "zoned" to an exemplary elem sch? I have primary custody of our son

Asked on 7/19/13, 5:24 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

It appears that you live in Harris County.

I would have to actually sit down with you and read your final decree to give you an opinion.

It appears that you are ordered to technically do something that is "illegal". You are now ordered to register your child in a school where you are not living.

I don't know if you are able to legally register your child at your mother's address at HISD. If you get caught, what can happen to you? I would not want to see you go to jail and/or get fined for putting your child at the wrong school.

You might want to talk to your former attorney about this matter.

Of course, only your ex would be the one to take you back to court and try to modify the current court order. In reality, is he going to do this? Does he know which schools are exemplary?

I would encourage the two of you to work together to co-parent your child. Of course, I assume that is not possible.

If he agrees to allow your child to attend the correct school and signs a document allowing it, then everything is ok.

I hope this is helpful.

If you need a further consultation, you can contact me at 713-847-6000 or [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 7/20/13, 11:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas