Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

my husband collected a settlement check from an accident while we were married. If we divorce am I entitled to 50% of the amount?

Asked on 5/06/13, 11:33 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

You say "while we were married." I assume that you are now divorced. What does the decree say about this money?

The general rule (again, look at your decree first) is that proceeds from the settlement of a lawsuit for personal injuries are separate property; if the money is specifically for lost earnings, it's community property.

Read more
Answered on 5/07/13, 6:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas