Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I have left my husband and my son came with me, we left over a month ago and moved in with a friend we live in Tarrant county, do I need to move back into the house before filing for divorce since I pay all the bills. Will he get the house and I continue to pay all the bills if I am not in the house at time of filing?

Asked on 10/13/11, 9:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Daley KoonsFuller PC

It depends on whether he can pay his own living expenses, including the house bills, during the pendancy of the divorce. If he can pay his own living expenses, then the court should not make you pay. The only reason you should be required to pay his expenses is if he can't make it on his own--and even that is a big "IF". If you have the child, I don't see you paying dad's expenses.

If you don't want the house, then don't bother moving back into it. Once you have lived in Tarrant County for 3 months, you can file your divorce in Tarrant County.

I am very familiar with the courts in Tarrant County and can tell you that they are very good at handling family law cases. They have dedicated family law courts--so they are much better than many other counties.

Good luck!!

Read more
Answered on 10/13/11, 3:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas