Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Legal Seperation

In Texas, after a divorce has been filed, are you legally seperated when a) one party establishes seperate living arrangements and has moved out their stuff, or b) is there additional paperwork needed from my attorney?

He filed asking for the house and custody of the kids, then 4 days after personally 'serving' me with papers, changed his mind and moved out while I was at are we legally seperated now?

Asked on 4/06/02, 3:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Pfister, Jr. Pfister & Associates

Re: Legal Seperation

There really is no "legal seperation" defined anywhere in the Texas Family Code or case law. However, while a divorce is pending, a court may enter temporary orders which set forth the temporary status of parties and generally addresses a number of issues that most people would consider in a "legal seperation". If you have be served with a divorce suit, you should respond quickly and retain your own attorney. If I can be of any assistance, let me know.

John Pfister


Read more
Answered on 4/07/02, 1:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas