Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I live in Texas where my divorce was finalized in 2009. My ex moved to Illinois after our divorce. Our divorce decree says he will have the kids on Wednesdays and every other weekend. Since he moved, we have a verbal agreement that he would have the kids in the summer, during Spring Break and Christmas. Many times he has come up with some reason that he cannot take them. That is happening again this summer. What can I do to hold him responsible for what we agreed on?

Asked on 6/02/13, 9:22 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

You cannot make him see his children.

You cannot make him a responsible parent.

Obviously his words are worthless.

You and your children need to move forward with your lives.

You need to be the best parent you can be for your children.

It is his loss.

Hopefully, there are other males in your children's lives that can be good role models for your children.

You might want to talk to a tough, smart family law attorney about getting additional child support since he is not seeing the children. Perhaps the judge in your county will order more than the normal child support since he is not spending any money on the children. Some judges will order the absent fathers to send additional child suport since you have to feed them 100% of the time & pay for all of their food, clothing, extra-cirricular activities. He's not spending any money on travel, etc. It might be worth talking to a local attorney about this matter. If the kids need therapy for abandonment issues, perhaps the judge will make him pay it.

Read more
Answered on 7/05/13, 2:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas