Legal Question in Family Law in Texas


I am a Colorado resident living in Texas currently. I am going to get married to a Texas resident in Hawaii. Will this be legal and binding in the state of Texas.

Asked on 3/12/08, 12:42 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

Re: marriage

If it is marriage recognized in Texas, then it's valid.

You can marry anywhere in the world and TX will recognize it as a valid marriage.

Also, TX has common law so even if the marriage is invalid, if you live in Texas, tell everyone you are married, act like you are married, fill out paperwork like you are married, and agree to be married then you are married in Texas. So if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, eats like a duck -- it's a duck -- unless you are both the same sex duck!

SAME SEX MARRIAGES ARE NOT RECOGNIZED IN TEXAS! Even if you legally married in another state.

Read more
Answered on 3/12/08, 1:11 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas