Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Moved out of house-now husband says I can't move back in..

Married for 19 years, house is in both names. Was a 'stay at home' Mom (son was 15). Circumstances for leaving were EXTREME verbal abuse, taking all monies out of accounts (I was also the 'money handler'). My son was VERY supportive, said he would stay at the house until I found a job a place to live. Was renting half a house from friend, took son back-and-forth to school while working several jobs for cash only and he stayed with me when he wanted.

Husband and I discussed refinancing the house and consolidating all debts and would go from there. Wellll, lost my last job, rental agreement up ... I offered to the husband that I move my belongings to the garage, work on the house (paint, repairs, etc.) but NOT with the goal of 'getting back together'. I would sleep in the guest room (which I was doing anyway prior to leaving) or at my parents. He says NO.

So ... if I file for divorce (haven't worked for a 'check' in 12 years, should I stay at my parents and/or friends or would it be better to move back INTO the house? Attorneys have NOT been contacted. Son is 16 now and REALLY wants to be with me.

WAY more info - this is just the first 'move'. Advice??

Asked on 3/18/03, 1:35 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paul T. Hebda, Ph.D., J.D. The Hebda Law Firm

Re: Moved out of house-now husband says I can't move back in..

The best advice I can give is to contact an attorney who practices in the family law area. There are too many issues that need to be discussed regarding your situation to go any further without a formal consultation.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 3/18/03, 10:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas