Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I have physical custody but joint custody of my 16 yr old. His mother lives in California and the court holds jurisdiction of the case, but my son and I live in Texas. In 2018 he turns 18 on thanksgiving day. He is suppose to be with his mother but is already expressing that he will be 18 and if he doesn't want to go see her she can't make him. Let's just say if it was up to him he would never go back to California to see her and is counting down til he turns 18. I need to know if he still has to go see her. Court order says she is to get him on Thanksgiving week even years. And if once he turns 18 the court order ends, right.

Asked on 3/06/17, 10:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

When he turns 18, he is an adult. He can leave home, move to Idaho, join the Army, or get married, all without his parents' permission. No, he doesn't have to go to California.

Read more
Answered on 3/09/17, 11:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas