Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I ran away and am living with an 18yr friend and need to become emancipated in currently 16. Can the cops some get me? in the research I found you have to be living outside of ur parents home so glen do I go buy doing this

Asked on 7/14/13, 11:01 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

Yes the police can come get you and return you home.

If you want to be emancipated, you need to hire an attorney. You need to find a family law attorney in your county that will help you. The cost will be several thousand dollars. You need to be self-sufficient. That means paying your own rent and food, etc. Your friend cannot be supporting you. If your parents will not agree to your being emancipated, then I don't know if the judge will agree. You would have to also pay for an attorney to investigate your home life and agree that you need to have your "disabilities of being a minor" removed. You would also have to pay for that attorney's fees too. I would anticipate that attorney costing approx, $1,500 at least too.

If you cannot come up with at least $4,000 for your legal fees and a good reason to have you declared an adult, then I doubt the judge would make you an adult in the eyes of the State of Texas. Being unhappy at home is not grounds in the State of Texas. You need to be able to support yourself without anyone else's assistance.

Good luck,

Read more
Answered on 7/14/13, 3:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas