Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I'm going through a separation. There was no marriage. We do have a 4 year old daughter together. She spends roughly 1/2 of her time with each parent (sometimes more with me). We still have a home together but I live separatly in an apartment. Her parents are on the mortgage.

My question: Do I have to pay child support when she is with me at least 1/2 of the time? If so, why?

There are several more questions but this is where I would like to start.

Thank you. MJL

Asked on 12/28/10, 5:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


Hope you have not beedn married without you knowing about it by verbally calling her your wife in the public or in some document?

Keep your records.

Child support is prescribe by law and is due to the primary custodial parent from the non-custodial parent. If the primary resident of the child is still the family house from where you moved, then you will be the non-custodial parent.

Read more
Answered on 1/02/11, 10:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas