Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

As a single mother receiving child support am I obligated to pay for my child's supplies when she visits her father? Or does he supply that himself?

Asked on 9/27/13, 10:08 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kevin Henderson Kevin Henderson Attorney at Law

Depends on what you mean by "supplies". If you mean prescription medications, then I think most lawyers and judges would expect you to send those when she goes to dad's house. Most parents will send clothing, small toys and things the child may need for homework or schoolwork back and forth.

If you are talking about an infant or toddler then the answer may be slightly different. I think most lawyers and judges would say that each parent needs to keep diapers, wipes, bottles and such things on hand. You might consider a smaller traveling bag for your child with basic necessities for the trip between homes and then allow dad to participate in providing for his daughter's needs when she's with him. Ideally, communication between the parents will solve a lot of these issues.

Read more
Answered on 9/28/13, 12:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas