Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

If my son's ex girlfriend who was married to someone else and didn't tell him - became pregnant and put her husbands name on the birth certificate - can she now come back and make my son pay child support because her husband is divorcing her? Her husbands name is on the birth certificate. We live in the state of Texas.

Asked on 2/09/10, 6:01 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Keith Engelke Law Office of S. Keith Engelke

If your son is shown to be the father, he can be ordered to pay child support.

Since he is not married to the mother, this would have to be the result of a Suit Affecting the Parent Child Relationship.

My guess is the the husband would deny paternity, and a paternity test would be ordered. If husband would be found not to be the father, a SAPCR would be filed naming your son as the father.

Read more
Answered on 2/14/10, 6:36 am
Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

Your son needs to immediately talk to an experienced family law attorney.

If he lives in the Houston area, he can call me. If he lives in the San Antonio area, have him call Keith.

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 2/14/10, 10:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas