Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

A woman that I was dating almost five years ago has just applied for child support with the Texas AG. I have been married for 4 1/2 years and have 2 children with my wife. I pay child support for my 9 year old from a previous marriage. The woman in question has since been married and divorced. Her ex-husband (whom she was not married to at the time of conception) signed both the paternity papers and the birth certificate for the child. What should happen next? Can they use per diem payments and a vehicle allowance to calculate CS?

Asked on 5/21/13, 2:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

You need a lawyer.

You need to look at her divorce decree. Does it say anything about the child? Does it make a finding that her ex-husband is the child's father? If it does, she may have (conveniently) not told the AG about this.

And it's none of my business, but you might consider getting a vasectomy. The operation costs about the same as one month's child support payment.

Read more
Answered on 5/31/13, 6:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas