Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

My soon to be x-wife is going to get our house in the divorce. we are both on the house note. We have been seperated for 1 1/2 years and she has been late on the mortgage evey month and she is killing my credit. Is there anything I can do to make hef sell the house.

Asked on 3/20/13, 9:04 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Theresa Langford Langford Law Firm

Of course there is - but it needs to be addressed in the divorce decree - BEFORE it is signed, not afterwards. Even though she will take title to the house, you will remain on the mortgage unless it is first sold, or refinanced. You can take a lien on the house (and is the VERY least you should do), but my experience is that it rarely solves the problem you describe.

Read more
Answered on 3/20/13, 2:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas