Legal Question in Health Care Law in Texas

Can I file a lawsuit and seek damages against a physician for inaccurately charting my medical history (to include stating that I was taking an anti-anxiety med I had been on for situational anxiety 5yrs earlier and not since) and that she "treated" me for depression (which involved me telling her I was post partum and felt stressed and overwhelmed)? Since then it has been nearly impossible for me to obtain disability and life insurance and if even granted insurance I will have to pay higher premiums.

Asked on 5/25/11, 6:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

Yes. This is called "slander." Slander is when someone tells a lie about you and you suffer because of it.

I suggest that, before you file suit, you write to the doctor (a paper letter - no phone calls or emails) and tell him what you told me, and ask him to correct the erroneous records.

Read more
Answered on 5/26/11, 5:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Health Care Law questions and answers in Texas