Legal Question in Immigration Law in Texas

My boyfriend was detained by city police for a Public intoxication. never been introuble witht he law. while there immigration detaineed him. he has now been granted voluntary departure under safeguard. we will marry in mexico, i am a US citizen. how long will it take for him to come back to the USA?

Asked on 6/30/11, 9:22 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Dianne Brooks The Mandel Law Firm

That depends upon how long he has been in the U.S. without status, and whether or not he entered legally or without inspection. Most likely he will be barred from returning for between 5 and 10 years. You said he had never been in trouble with the law, however, if there were any other convictions on his record that could be an issue barring his reentry as well.

Read more
Answered on 6/30/11, 9:28 am

Latangie Williams Law Office of Latangie Williams, P.A.

It will vary based on when you petition (but it will be at least 6 months plus). Your boyfriend will need to apply for a waiver as well. For a free consultation, please contact my office at 904-576-2581 or email me at [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 6/30/11, 9:30 am
Isaul Verdin VERDIN

He will have to file a waiver for his unlawful presence. It's going to take a while, and it's hard to say without reviewing the case. If you haven't started the process, you're probably looking at a time range of 1 to 2 years from now.

Read more
Answered on 6/30/11, 2:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Texas