Legal Question in Employment Law in Texas

I have been laid-off and am on the job hunt and I was told by a perspective employer that I had a negative reference return from another source that is not my direct employer but works through my employer and an official job offer was rescinded. The negative reference is untrue and is supported by the referrers own documentation. The negative reference was not written but a verbal statement. Do I have legal recourse, I cannot find a job.

Asked on 1/16/14, 6:14 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

Your recourse is to sue for slander.

If someone tells a lie about you and you suffer - your reputation is harmed - or you are refused employment, you have a lawsuit.

And you should throw in a count for tortious interference with contract, just for good measure.

Read more
Answered on 1/16/14, 11:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Texas