Legal Question in Employment Law in Texas


I am due for my yearly raise. When I asked my employer about it, I was told that I was earning more than anybody else and that I was going to have to take a cut in pay. Can he do that?

Asked on 5/23/03, 3:28 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Trang Tran Tran Law Firm L.L.P.

Re: Wages

Answer: Yes they can (unless you have a contract for the current wage).

You can also quit if you do not like the paycut.

If the employer retroactively applies the paycut to previous wages, then there are possible Employment Law violations.

Read more
Answered on 5/23/03, 4:09 pm
Roger Evans Mathis & Donheiser

Re: Wages

Yes, as long as you do not have a contract which provides otherwise and as long as the employer is not motivated by any discriminatory intent in doing so with respect to a category protected by state or federal law.

Read more
Answered on 5/29/03, 1:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Texas