Legal Question in Legal Ethics in Texas

My son was arrested for outstanding warrants related to non-payment/showing for court for, of all things, non-moving auto violations (registration/insurance). Is there any recourse for him if, while in custody, police officers go to to his place of employment and divulge to employees (that report to him) that he's in jail? This wasn't to inform his manager. Although arrest records are public, this seemed to be a little mean spirited and if these actions are outside the bounds of the any way... I'd like to know. Thank you very much.

Asked on 8/01/11, 6:55 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

The cops who did this are jerks.

However, there's no cause of action for slander if the cops were telling the truth.

If you know the names of the cops who did it, write a letter to the chief of police (send it certified mail, and keep a copy) and describe exactly what happened.

Read more
Answered on 8/02/11, 6:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility questions and answers in Texas