Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in Texas

In 07/09 I went to the dentist, while living in Scottsdale, AZ, because of concern for my upper right canine. A cavity was found; the dentist stated the cavity was too big for a filling and recommended a crown. I accepted his recommendation, he removed the decay and I received a temp crown. Later the permanent crown arrived but I wasn't satisfied with the color. The permanent crown was seated with temp cement and I was advised to wear it home and consult family and friends on the crown. I did and returned and requested a darker shade. The dentist advised me that upgrading to the next level, which was made with more expensive materials would accomplish a more natural look and I agreed. First a dentist's assistant tried to remove the crown but was unable to, and then the dentist tried but was unable to as well. The dentist advised me that if the crown was damaged there would be additional charges. Allowing the crown to fall off was presented as an option, to which I agreed. I let him know I would be relocating to Texas and he told me as long as I would be seeing a dentist at Monarch that there would be no additional charges. More than twelve months elapsed before the crown fell off, in which I went to the dentist to get another crown and decay was found on the tooth under the crown. The dentist in Dallas stated there is too much decay and presented me with three options. One, a root canal, two a bridge, or three an implant, in which all would cost me additional money ranging from $400.00 to $4000.00. I feel as if I have been taken advantage of and/or someone has dropped the ball and I would like to know if I have a case against the dentists in question.

Asked on 12/07/10, 6:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Di Carlo Mark A. Di Carlo

You will need to contact an attorney in Arizona. The dentist was in Arizona, you were living in Arizona, and the dental work was performed in Arizona. I do not know dental malpractice standards in Arizona.

This would be governed by Arizona state law.

Although you refer to dentists, plural, I do not see anything wrong that the Texas dentist did.

Please contact another attorney for a second opinion, preferably an Arizona attorney.

Read more
Answered on 12/12/10, 8:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in Texas