Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in Texas

Personal injury/malpractice

In November 2002, I had a minor back surgery that went bad due to an infection. The doctor did a lot of things wrong,. I was not interested in suing at the time. However, six surgeries later and numerous other procedures, I have incurred significant financial burdens. I have not had a day without pain since the first surgery and I will likely live in pain and continue doctor visits the rest of my life (I am 39 years old). Is there anything I can do to receive financial help from the doctor that was responsible?

Asked on 8/23/07, 5:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Dan Street Street Law Firm

Re: Personal injury/malpractice

A "minor back surgery that went bad due to an infection" may not be the fault of the doctor (or at least may not rise to the level of "negligence" on the part of the doctor). Even though the "doctor did a lot of things wrong," this, too, may not rise to the level of legal negligence. Finally, the law puts a very strict two-year statute of limitations on medical negligence actions. From the limited information you have provided, you may have unfortunately waited too late to do anything about your situation. The only way for you to be sure whether you have a case and whether you have waited too late to pursue it is to consult with an attorney immediately. A complete analysis of your full situation would be needed before any firm legal opinion could be offered.

Read more
Answered on 8/23/07, 7:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in Texas