Legal Question in Personal Injury in Texas

I have a car that I am lending to my daughter. My daughter provides for her own car insurance. Her car insurance is with a different company then mine. If she was to have a traffic accident would the other person be able to sue me or take me to court because the car is in my name and because my young daughter does not own anything and he or she wants to take someone to court and get money? Thank you

Asked on 5/05/11, 10:08 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

You are (generally) not responsible for what your daughter does (I'm assuming that she's an adult).

The exception would be "negligent entrustment," for instance, if your daughter were visibly drunk and you gave her some car keys. Other than a situation of that nature, you are not liable for what she does.

Read more
Answered on 5/06/11, 2:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Texas