Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Texas

How do I aquire power of attorney over father's estate?

Asked on 8/27/13, 8:06 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Chase Hague The Law Office of Chase P. Hague

To acquire a power of attorney, a person must execute a power of attorney document. This document provides for either a general power of attorney over an estate's affairs or specifies specific powers. It must be signed by the person over whom's estate the document is being executed. In some cases, the document must be filed in the deed records (e.g. if you are buying/selling real estate). You should contact an attorney to figure out what is best for your particular circumstances. Most give free initial consultations.

Read more
Answered on 8/27/13, 8:36 am

David Leon David L. Leon, P.C.

YOu don't mention whether or not your father is alive and well. You can get a POA only if your father is alive and competent. If he's alive, but not competent, you'll need a guardianship. If he's deceased, you'll need to apply for letters testamentary.

For more information, please visit our website:

Also, please read our disclaimer:

Read more
Answered on 8/27/13, 9:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Texas