Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Texas

Dad recently passed without a will. Only has home valued at app. $75,000.00. My two sisters and I are the next of kin. Mom passed years ago. What do we need to place home in name of myself, as they want me to have the home since I am the one who is living here. There is no disagreement between us. Do we need to have this done by a lawyer or is there a form we can complete. What is the approximate cost of lawyers fees.

Asked on 12/17/17, 10:02 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Leon David L. Leon, P.C.

I'm sorry to hear about your father. You likely have two estates that need to be addressed, as I'm assuming both mom and dad were on title. You'd need to remove both. This isn't a form issue, as you'd need to determine what you need to do for both estates, and given the value of the home, it's not something to take chances on. A lawyer or title company can assist you.

You should have the following handy:

1. Death certificates for mom and dad.

2. List of ALL children of mom and ALL children of dad (include deceased children, children from prior marriages, etc.)

3. EXACT legal names of all siblings.

4. Information on any mortgages or liens on the house

5. Tax information on the house

6. Whether mom or dad (or both) were on Medicaid.

Feel free to call if you'd like to discuss further.

For more information, please visit our website:

Read more
Answered on 12/17/17, 9:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Texas