Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Texas

How To Determine Heirship of illigitamit child

My father passed and then his father passed leaving the three childern my dads portion, well we recently heard we have a brother who my dad nerver spoke about. Well he recently found out about the money and hired a lawyer for his portion. My question is how can he determine heirship if my father is dead and my father never spoke of him to anyone. We do not want to hire a lawyer if we can find out the legal ways of proving heirship. If he is my father then he is intitled to his portion of the money.

Asked on 1/18/02, 7:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Peter Bradie Bradie, Bradie & Bradie

Re: How To Determine Heirship of illigitamit child

Claiming heirship and proving heirship are two very different things. He may have to prove kinship by DNA testing; you don't have to prove or disprove anything. If you don't believe that he's your half-brother, then simply demand that he prove it.

You are going to need an attorney for this probate contest; it's not something you'll want to do yourself unless the estate is so small that dividing it in fourths rather than thirds doesn't justify the cost of litigation.

Read more
Answered on 1/21/02, 10:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Texas