Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Texas

probating in Texas

My father recently died and does not have a will. I am his only child. He only has one piece of property and I would like to know if I can file what I need on my own.

Asked on 1/29/09, 4:24 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Cheryl Rivera Smith The Smith Law Firm

Re: probating in Texas

Unlike other states, probate is relatively inexpensive and quick in Texas. (4-6 months, uncontested). However, procedures are specific and the learning curve is extensive. For a simple heirship proceeding, I typically charge $1,500 plus filing fees. Shop around for an attorney, it is worth the cost.

Read more
Answered on 1/30/09, 12:57 pm
David Leon David L. Leon, P.C.

Re: probating in Texas

I'm sorry to hear about your father. As for your issue, did your father have any debts? Are there any bank accounts, cars or other property? How long ago was the death?

Read more
Answered on 1/29/09, 7:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Texas