Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Texas

is there any way around probating a texas will as I hear It is expensive and can not afford, my boyfriend of over 22 years left me his house and car. His two grown children each get a 10,000 policy, but I am the only one mentioned in the will. I just need to know if the house and car need to go to probate in order to get my name on the titles or can a lawyer take care of it without going to court.

Asked on 6/24/13, 8:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Leon David L. Leon, P.C.

The cost of probate doesn't have to be expensive. Consider the cost of probating a will against the cost of having to buy the house and car if things get messed up.

That being said, the cost of probate depends on the will, how it was executed, and whether or not anyone fights it. Also, I would need to know if the deceased owed any debts. There are summary procedures you can use to probate the will with less expense.

If you're determined to do this without court intervention, it's possible, provided that the heirs at law agree and execute paperwork to that effect. I wouldn't chance that, however.

For more information, please visit our website:

Also, please read our disclaimer:

Read more
Answered on 6/24/13, 11:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Texas