Legal Question in Consumer Law in United Kingdom

I have agreed to purchase a small piece of garden land from the council, the land itself only cost �1500 however, I have to pay their legal costs of �950. I received a letter from them asking about my solicitor so that they can conclude the sale. My question is can I proceeed without paying more legal fees. What would be the point of another solicitor as I thought the council legal department would have completed the transaction.

Asked on 8/31/09, 6:50 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Dutton Legal -Zone

Legal costs of this magnitude to convey a small piece of land is scandulous and should be resisted. A proper charge based upon the probable time involved would be in the region of �200

Providing there is no mortgage or borrowing to be secured on the land and you are satisfied with the council's title to the land there is absolutely no need for you to employ a solicitor to deal with the purchase on your behalf. You will however then have to deal with registration of your title to the land at HM Land Registry which is quite possible but can be a bit daunting.

Andrew Dutton

Read more
Answered on 9/01/09, 3:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in United Kingdom