Legal Question in Entertainment Law in United Kingdom


I am in the process of starting a web based business that involves me taking photos of the general public with their permission and using the photos on my website.

Is this legal without the photographed subject signing anysort of document. If this is the case can you please tell me what sort of form they have to sign and where I obtain such paperwork?

Asked on 3/17/07, 4:51 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Howard Richard Howard & CO

Re: photograph

Wherever possible you should obtain signature from the subject of a photographic release covering exploitation of the negative and positive copies in all media.

If you don't have this, the extent to which you might be restricted to use the photo depends where you take the photo. Some place ban photos entirelt eg in the Royal Parks. Governing bodies also restrict photos e.g. All Rugby of whatever level or age group is controlled in England by the RFU which has a policy about photos that will restict any ones right to take photos of a game.

All indivuduals have a right of privacy, rights under the Data Protection Act and Image rights which could be enforced against you if you exploit Photos without permission.

Read more
Answered on 3/18/07, 3:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Entertainment & Sport Law questions and answers in United Kingdom