Legal Question in Family Law in United Kingdom

Hi I have 2 kids but I am not married the mother is not suitable to look after herself never mind the 2 kids I don't want to live with her anymore the kids have been staying with my mother since birth.The mothers mum has had all her kids in care and she always goes out coming back at 5am drunk how will she be able to look after the kids so I just want to know if it is possible that my mother could have the custody of the kids

Asked on 4/08/12, 1:30 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Duncan Lanser MWG Solicitors


Yes, it is possible. Your mother will need to make an application to the family court, seeking a residence order in respect of the kids. The best thing to do is for your mother to visit her local county court, explain what she wants to do and ask for the forms and guidance. The staff at the Court will help her.

If the mother and maternal grandmother of your kids are as unsuitable as they sound, your mother will have a good chance of getting custody. Of utmost concern to the Court is the welfare and best interests of the children.

Best wishes


Read more
Answered on 4/08/12, 4:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in United Kingdom