Legal Question in Discrimination Law in United States Minor Outlying Islands

Racial Slur

I have been called a racial slur. I am

17, an african american and a senior in

high school. The student who called

me this slur is 18 and in the same

grade as me. He called me a CENSORED

and this offends me immensely, I was

tempted to take this problem into my

own hands, but I wanted to do

something about it legally. This is the

second time I've been called a CENSORED

(not by this student) but it makes me

very angry. If i were to sue for calling

me this offending word, what could

happen to him?

Asked on 6/15/09, 3:21 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Ken Feldman Feldman Law Group

Re: Racial Slur

There is a possible defamation claim for money and a Court order that he cease.

I agree that going through the school is probably alot easier.

I do think litigation makes an interesting point however.

Read more
Answered on 6/16/09, 11:43 am
Gary Moore Gary Moore Attorney At Law

Re: Racial Slur

You could charge him with harassment, which is a criminal offense. As for suing him, does he, personally, have any money?

Gary Moore

Read more
Answered on 6/15/09, 4:08 pm
Locksley Wade Law Office of Locksley O. Wade

Re: Racial Slur

If you want to do something about this, you and your parent(s) should file a formal complaint with the school. If the school fails to act and the offending student repeats his behavior, then you have a suit against the school and perhaps the student.

Read more
Answered on 6/15/09, 4:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Other Discrimination Law (Age, Race, Sex, Gender) questions and answers in United States Minor Outlying Islands