Legal Question in Business Law in Utah

If i had body work done to my car,but never signed any paperwork or agreement am i legally bound to pay? I never even signed anything as i picked car up... Very upset by detail work and sloppily done for alot of money. With no commitment am i responsible legally?

Asked on 8/22/13, 3:17 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Randy Lish Randy M. Lish, Attorney at Law

A contract can be entered into in two ways. First, and the best way, is to sign an agreement with the other party. This clarifies the duties and responsibilities of each party. The second way to enter into a contract is by conduct. By leaving the car to have work done on it, you entered into an agreement that if the work was done, you would pay. The fact that the work was done improperly may be grounds to dispute the claim for payment, but the dispute is not whether there is an agreement, but whether the work was done properly, as agreed. If you can get your car out of the shop without paying, you can make the other party take you to court for payment, then raise the claim that the work was not done properly, and you should not have to pay the full amount. If you have to pay the full amount to get your car, you will then have to go to court to be reimbursed for the cost of having to have the work done again. If possible, you will probably be better off by going to small claims court, because it is much cheaper.

Read more
Answered on 8/22/13, 8:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Utah