Legal Question in Construction Law in Utah

i agreed to help a freind who is a millionair and his son install three sprinkler systems at his rentals. he offered to pay me a couple hundred to help. after one bullshit excuse or another i ended up doing all of it alone. i refused to hook up the water line on the last house since it was not pine view water. it has be a licenced plumber. he refused to pay "a contractor" untill the job is finished.i did not even get paid the $200 i spent for some used sprinklers off of ksl. i was his freind not a contractor but since they did not help does that make me a contractor? an unlicenced one who cant sue? i did not agree to do it alone so can i get more because i did? isnt it againt the law to hire contractors who are unlicenced? . can i sue in small claims? is there anything i can do? thanks

Asked on 10/09/10, 8:25 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cory Wall Cory R. Wall, Attorney at Law, P.C.

Just sue him in small claims court and bring evidence of the work you performed and materials purchased. You are entitled to be compensated for your work and would recover more than $200. You may want to talk to a sprinkler installation person and ask them to testify what the reasonable value of what you did would be.

Read more
Answered on 10/17/10, 7:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in Utah