Legal Question in Criminal Law in Utah

extradition law

I am charged with a class b misdemeanor ,carrying a concealed dangerous weapon.It is a ridiculous charge that I am sure would be dropped if i took it to trial.However, I am 2300 miles away from this state and cannot afford to fly there and hire an attorney all at once.So my question is, if I fail to answer my subpeona and not show up in court,could I be arrested in virginia and extradited back to utah to face possible failure to appear charges? Or can I continue with my life and never drive through utah again and put this mess behind me.Thank You for your input.

Asked on 12/02/04, 5:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Re: extradition law

If it's a misdemeanor you're charged with, it's unlikely that Utah authorites would undertake to have you extradited from a place as far away as Virginia if you fail to appear for trial. However, it could well depend on the Utah jurisdiction involved, e.g. Salt Lake City might never pursue such matters, but the approach of others, say in communities such as Springdale or Cedar City or other lesser populated areas of the state could be somewhat different.

(I myself spent some time this past October motoring through the canyon lands of southern Utah and might have some further suggestions if you care to email me with further details of your case.)

Read more
Answered on 12/03/04, 9:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Utah