Legal Question in Family Law in Utah

My divorce was finalized in march 2013 and in the decree of divorce it states that all property awarded to the respondent my ex wife shall be removed No later than May 13 2013 she is now almost four months late asking for her property, I have custody of our 4 children and she has not paid a penny of her child support in over three years, am I legally obligated to let her have her property?

Asked on 9/18/13, 2:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cory Wall Cory R. Wall, Attorney at Law, P.C.

Yes. You can't really hold the property hostage. However, the fact that she is so late in removing it, you may be within your rights to dispose of the property. Without actually seeing your Decree of Divorce it's difficult for me to tell you what you may or may not do at this point. If she's not paying child support, then you should take her back to court to enforce the child support orders and ask for a judgment for the arrearages as well as a request that she be held in contempt of court.

Read more
Answered on 9/27/13, 10:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Utah