Legal Question in Intellectual Property in Utah

Can I play movies at an event if we are not charging if we are not charging admission for the movies themselves.

We are charging patrons an entrance fee to our Terror Trail, but will have movies playing while they are waiting in line and at the end of the terror trail.

Asked on 9/16/10, 9:03 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cory Wall Cory R. Wall, Attorney at Law, P.C.

Depending on what movies you'll be showing (i.e., newer releases), it might be worth your while to contact the distributor of the motion picture and let them know what you'll be doing and see if they have any concerns or issues with it. It never hurts to get a letter from them authorizing the use of the movie. The concern I have is that as long as you're charging money for admission into a location where licensed/copyrighted material is being shown, it may pose a problem if the owner of that material finds out.

Read more
Answered on 9/22/10, 1:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in Utah