Legal Question in Intellectual Property in Utah

I have a software program that allows me to create skeletal animations for 3d characters. I can then export the animations as Biovision Hierarchy file format (BVH Files). Is there some way that I can protect the animations that I have created. I will be using them in a 3d game that I am creating. I don't know if a copyright or a patent is what I need or if either of those even apply.

Asked on 5/19/10, 5:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alvin Lundgren Alvin R. Lundgren, L.C.

You need a copyright. You get some copyright protection if you can show when you created and first published the characters. You can also register the copyright with the US Patent and Trademark Office - recommended.

Read more
Answered on 5/24/10, 8:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in Utah