Legal Question in Personal Injury in Utah

My ex employer gave my current employer a false reference stating I had brought drugs to work. This is completely false. The current employer hired a consumer reports agency to get the reference and then write it up. I was given a copy of it and was horrified to see all of the lies my ex employer stated about me. what kind of legal recourse do I have and what are the odds that I would win if I chose to actually sue this ex employer? I have written a letter to my ex employers supervisors about this situation. can I sue them as well for having employed my ex employer or can I require that they take disciplinary action against him?

Asked on 10/24/10, 5:13 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Cory Wall Cory R. Wall, Attorney at Law, P.C.

Your background information is unclear since you refer to your ex employer's employer so I'm not sure what the situation is. However, if someone gave false and misleading information about you to third parties, especially in the context of your employment, you may very well have a valid defamation claim against them.

Read more
Answered on 10/30/10, 7:04 am
Alvin Lundgren Alvin R. Lundgren, L.C.

You should first contest the information with the credit reporting agency. Then you should sue the ex employer for defamation, you may need to sue the reporting agency.

Read more
Answered on 11/01/10, 7:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Utah