Legal Question in Elder Law in Virginia


My husband and I have recently found out that his youngest brother and his soon to be exwife have committed what we perceive to be fraud. My husband's mother was coerced by these two individuals to sign over her home to them six years ago. The story we were told about this recently was that our mother was having financial difficulty and was told to sign over the property to them in order to avoid creditors who may seize the property away from her. The brother and the ex-wife all along knew the property was completely paid for. This transfer was done without the knowledge of other members of the family. We feel the reason this was really done now that they are separated and moving toward divorce was for their own financial gain as the property has been named by the sister-in-law as a bargaining chip in their separation agreement. My mother now has no home and we feel that this is criminal and could someone contact us concerning what we could do to pursue charges against them.

Thank you

Asked on 8/01/11, 8:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tara Candela Tara Candela, RN, MSN, JD


The situation you have described may be viewed as a form of elder abuse known as financial exploitation. You can report your suspicions to the Elder Abuse Hotline at 1-888-83-ADULT. You will likely be required to contact your local department of social services for the county in which your mother resides or in which her home was located. If you report this, be sure to take down a report number and follow up on the progress of any investigation.

Best wishes,


Read more
Answered on 8/02/11, 1:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Virginia