Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Virginia

On November 19, 2008 I won a small claims case as the plaintiff. The defendant has never paid me the money he owes. Is there anything else that I am suppose to do??? I was told I could do an abstract of judgment, however I haven't because the defendant does not own property. I also do not know where the defendant is living or where he is working. When a creditor pulls the defendant's credit report does it show that he still owes money on a lawsuit? Is there a statue of limitation because this was a few years ago? Is there anything I can do to get my money???

Asked on 1/21/12, 2:49 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Cary Moseley Law Office of Cary Powell Moseley, PLLC

Garnishment or levy. See a collections attorney for help.

Read more
Answered on 1/21/12, 4:10 pm
Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Go to the clerk's office of the court which rendered the judgment and complete

the paperwork necessary to have the debtor summoned into court to

answer under oath what are called debtor's interrogatories.

These are questions which concern the debtor's income and assets

which might allow for collection and satisfaction of the judgment.

The statute of limitations for judgments obtained in general district court

is 10 years unless the judgment has been renewed for another 10.

Read more
Answered on 1/21/12, 8:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Virginia