Legal Question in Appeals and Writs in Virginia

how to file a petition for sentence reduction

Asked on 1/03/17, 2:42 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

The defendant should contact the attorney who represented

him concerning the feasibility of such a request.

If this attorney is not available for whatever reason, then the defendant

could contact another criminal defense counsel in his area to discuss

the matter or even write a letter himself to the judge who sentenced

him explaining whatever mitigating circumstances might credibly bear

on this issue which may not have been brought to this judge's attention

at the time of sentencing or any other circumstances which may have

developed since his sentencing with respect to this defendant which the court may wish to consider in evaluating such a request for a reduction in his sentence..

Read more
Answered on 1/03/17, 9:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Appeals and Writs questions and answers in Virginia