Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Virginia

My husband filed bankruptcy chapter 13 on his bills I did not I'm co on the house and he will not make payments and I do not make enough money to pay the loa what should I do?

Asked on 7/26/15, 3:57 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sean Hanover Hanover Law

Chapter 13 requires a restructuring of the debt under a bankruptcy plan. Until the plan is approved, there is a “stay” in place – you don’t need to pay anything. Once the plan is approved, your husband will have to pay under the terms of the plan. However, you need to make sure that you are not ALSO named in that chapter 13 plan. Now is NOT the time to play dumb. You need to review the paperwork he is filing and UNDERSTAND what is happening. This effects your life. Additionally, in VA, tenants by the entirety (i.e. property owned jointly by you and your spouse under the “entirety doctrine”) have special rules under bankruptcy provisions. You need to meet with a lawyer to discuss this. You can probably call his bankruptcy attorney to get some of these answers, but if the lawyer does not know, call us. 703-402-2723 or [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 8/01/15, 3:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Virginia