Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Virginia

I have an question about BK. I need to file for an chapter 7 and I am going thru an devoice and I don't have the money to get an lawyer because I am not working. I have been out of the house where I live since April 26,2013. I am trying to get back into the house so I can see my kids. the reason I am out of the house is to have my son test to see why he is having problem going to school. SO I would like to know if I have to put my wife information down on the bk also. I need to have this done ASAP and I have been looking on line and I see there are company out there will do the paper work and they are saying that they are the best out there. SO I would like to see if someone can let me know about this matter. Or if someone can help me and I will be glad to pay them for what the on line company is charging. I was told I don't need a lawyer to go with me to court because they can say anything in the court room anyway.

Asked on 6/18/13, 1:27 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Press Chung & Press, P.C.

What you were told about the lawyer going to court with you is absolutely false. Lawyers advise and assist clients, advocate their position, and protect hem from abusive conduct on the part of trustees and creditors. In both the 341 meeting and in court, we regularly speak on behalf of our clients, and I would never let a client go to either one without me. You need a lawyer.

As for not being able to afford a lawyer, if you truly can't, go to Legal Aid.

And in a Chapter 7, if you are separated, you do not need to include your spouse's income except to the extent contributed to your household expenses.

Read more
Answered on 6/18/13, 4:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Virginia