Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Virginia

I'm trying to get my son, who is a senior, school to change his class because he is not comprehending the course. We starting asking to switch him out 2 weeks after school started. They principal will to it because she feels he is not putting he best effort. My son is having anxiety attacks. We've said, we're okay with him getting standard diploma. Do I as a parent have an legal recourse to get the school to remove him from this class. Right now his GPA is being effected by it.

Asked on 10/08/13, 6:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

You're asking whether a court of law would agree to overrule a high

school principal on a specific school issue over which such court would

likely conclude that the principal or school system is probably far better equipped to handle than the courts. Therefore, i would be inclined

to answer, no, as to the availability of "legal recourse" for the

situation described.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that there's nothing you can do

if you disagree with this school principal's position as described, and would

suggest that you consider contacting the superintendant of the school system

and/or the local school board member(s) who may represent your area of the

locality involved and who may be able to assist you with this matter.

Read more
Answered on 10/08/13, 10:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Virginia