Legal Question in Consumer Law in Virginia

To Whom It May Concern:

I live in Virginia. I bought a water softening system about 5 years ago and it cost over $5000. Every year, the company comes out and changes the filters. About 2 years ago, the company providing this service changed because the original company that installed the softener went out of business. This company is located a few hours away from my home.

Recently, I lost water pressure in my house. I started noticing issues with the water pressure on Sunday 6/2 but it was sporadic. It didnít get worse until Wednesday 6/5. I actually had someone from the water company come to my house also that day to find out if there was something wrong with the water pressure from the main line coming into the house. I had 2 plumbers come to my house on Thursday 6/6 and Friday 6/7 and it was finally determined the water softener or the filter attached to the softener was probably the issue. The carbon in the softener has leaked into the pipes and caused blockage. I was told I would have to get the pipes flushed out. The plumber also told me that this could possibly damage my faucets and valves throughout my house.

I called the company that services the filter last Friday 6/7 and they can't come here to look at the system until the following Wednesday. The manager was supposed to call me back Friday night but did not. After leaving 2 messages the following Monday 6/10, the manager finally called me and told me that I would not be compensated for the expense with the plumbing. And if there are any further plumbing costs, to see about using my homeowners insurance to pay for damages. Plus, in order to fix the softener, he's estimating I'll have to pay an additional $400 to do that. He says the warranty on the softener only covers parts and not labor or shipping of the part. And I will still have to wait until Wednesday for someone to come and confirm the water softener is the true problem.

I would like to know if I am able to file some kind of lawsuit to get this company to pay for some of the damages. Do I have a case? Please let me know. Thank you very much for your time.

Asked on 6/10/13, 3:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Without reviewing your purchase contract and accompanying warranty,

I don't see how one could offer a credible opinion on this matter.

Read more
Answered on 6/10/13, 5:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Virginia