Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Virginia

Is there anything that can be done?

My exhusband and I recently got divorced as of JAN '10, we had a vehical that was in both our names. His Buyer, and mine Co-Buyer. As of our Divorce decree stating that he is to hold full financial repsonsiblity to the vehical, and I to be held unaccountable. How could i go about getting this to the loan company so that it may go in our records? Or would it even be worth the time? I attempted to list this on my credit report and give my reasons, but they stated it is mine. Which I understand. I know for a fact that he is not making the payments, because they have called me attempting to gain payment from myself. Not sure if I have any options. Im just worried about my credit.

Please Help

Asked on 2/09/10, 8:42 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

The provision in your divorce decree making your former husband financially responsible for paying the loan on this vehicle cannot be forced upon the company which made the vehicle loan and it can continue to pursue you for payment.

However, if your former spouse is not complying with this term of the divorce decree, your remedy is to bring him back before the court on a contempt(Rule to Show Cause) action to face possible sanctions for his alleged noncompliance.

Read more
Answered on 2/14/10, 9:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Virginia