Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Virginia

I let a friend borrow my old car (he was planning on buying it) and he disappeared with it. I couldn't report stolen or unauthorized use since I initially let him borrow it and he made a down-payment of $100. We didn't have a signed contract but I have all of our conversations recorded in Facebook messenger, including the agreement and the argument when I demanded my car back. The police told us that I need to treat is as repossession of a car that was never paid for. I still have the title. I just found his new work address so I can file in civil court now but what exactly would I be filing? I live in Virginia

Asked on 11/13/17, 5:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Why would you need to file a court action when you're apparently still the legal owner of this vehicle

with presumably a valid title to confirm such ownership?

So, as the cops have already advised you, it's simply a matter of repossessing what is already legally

yours. So, go ahead and pick your car up at this defaulting buyer's work address or wherever.

Office Tel. (703) 838-5577

Read more
Answered on 11/20/17, 11:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Virginia