Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Virginia

someone owes me money for cell phone charges but has no money if i press charges would i get my money?

Asked on 2/19/10, 7:31 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

You would not be "pressing charges" for this kind of a debt which is a civil rather

than a criminal matter. (That means you could sue the person in your local

small claims court but forget about involving law enforcement in the matter.)

Read more
Answered on 2/24/10, 8:33 pm
Robert B. Walker Law Office of Robert B. Walker

Also, while you might get a judgment you would not automatically get any money. If the person has no assets and no job, it might be an uncollectible judgment. In Virginia general district court judgments are good for 10 yrs (20 if docketd in Cir Ct and can be renewed).

Read more
Answered on 2/28/10, 12:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Virginia